We’re all thankful for the same things — food, family, friends, health.
This year, I thought I’d compile a list of the things I’ve come to be thankful for in 2009. Things I failed to appreciate before this year:
- Creamy tomato soup: Seriously, this is one of my favorite foods now. Half soup, half milk. Perfectly delicious.
- The public library: What a terrific resource for our community. That place has everything, and it doesn’t cost me a dime.
- Kindness of strangers: People we barely knew really helped us out this year when Jill was sick and I was furloughed.
- Old movies: I never watched them before this year much, but I’m starting to appreciate them for what they are.
- Beating the Cardinals: The Dodgers never had much luck against St. Louis — until this year’s NL playoffs.
- Coffee: I started drinking it for the first time early this year. Couldn’t have started at a better time, considering I now average about 6 hours of sleep per day.
- Green tea: I’m guilty of being persuaded by Joe Torre’s spokesmanship for Bigelow Green Tea. Pretty lame, I know. I’ve heard it’s good for you, so that’s a bonus.
- Mayo Clinic: After doctors in Des Moines and Iowa City failed to help Jill with her pelvic fractures, the Mayo staff finally gave her some relief.
- Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift: 2009 was the year of Lady A and Swiftie.
- The kids room at the gym: I still don’t get nearly enough exercise, but this has helped me get to the gym at least once a week or so.
- “Mad Men”: The best show on TV. By a mile.